The beginning of your college career can seem like a trip to the mall. Immediately upon entering it, you're overwhelmed by the wide variety of choices: so many mahor to choose from, each leading you down a different professional path.
The commencement of your college career is also fraught with temptation. So many choices in majors means you can indulge you whims. There seems to be a major for every temperment. The major you do end up choosing, however, shouldn't result from calculations based on relative motivation or fear of failure. In other words, don't choose a major simply because you expect it will be easy, and won't crimp either your social life or your G.P.A. You should always bear in mind that college is not only infinitely rich and varied an experience; it's also an expensive one. Hard-earned money finances your education, no matter whether it comes from parents, present earnings, or loans that you'll have to repay after graduation.
You shouldn't despair over the fact that college is expensive; in a capitalist market arrangement, it takes money to make money. Critical to your happiness and security - perhaps even your mental health - is finding that college major that promises to stimulate your mind and eventually to add to your bank account.
It is with the interest of mind of promoting the search for this balance that the top ten college majors are listed below. As you read them, bear in mind that they aren't necessarily the most lucrative or in-demand, but they are the ones which college students flock to year in and year out. Remember also that choosing a major, whether out of intellectual curiosity or the desire to make a killing, doesn't commit you to any particular career path. Rather, they equip you with the skills and mental habits that allow you to solve problems and to make creative contributions - qualities discerning employers look for in any job candidate, candidate's actual degree aside. An old saying continues to hold true in the professional world: "Hire for character and train for the job." The degree programs listed below can help you to build just the sort of character that will make employers want to train you right away.
So, without further ado, here are the 10 most popular college majors:
1. Business - Do you think you have what it takes to make a big splash in the corporate world? Here are the skills you'll need to make that dream a reality:
2. Psychology - Eager to spend the rest of your working life shrinking heads? If you got the gumption, then here's what else you'll need to bring to your practice:
3. Nursing - The urge to comfort and heal are noble. If you feel this urge quite poignantly, here's what you'll need in order to be able to act on it:
4. Biology/Biological Sciences - If life in all its forms and expressions captivates you, and you'd like to make a career of your fascination, then here's what you'll need to set yourself down that path:
5. Education - Interested in prepping the minds of a future generation? If you are, you'll need to bring to the classroom the following virtues:
6. English - If a life of letters is something you wish to lead, then you should jot down the following strengths that you'll need to have in order to do so:
7. Economics - If understanding the ins and out of human commerce thrills you, then the life economic will require from you:
8. Communications - The gift of gab sure helps. If you got it, good on you. But, if you are to have a future in this field, you must also possess:
9. Political Science - If the science of steering the ship of state interests you, then here's what other skills you'll need to earn your "sea legs":
10. Computer Science - If you've made this field part of your program, then you might also wish add these skills to your operations:
Ten career paths down which you could venture - this seems such a heady prospect! Just know that whichever path you choose, your life will be made richer. College is as must about personal discovery as it is about resume burnishing. You're only young once, so you might as well make it count. Here's to your degree-hunting success!